Concerned about Coronavirus? Click here.

Call 0330 880 3600 Calls may be monitored or recorded. Opening Times.

  1. Categories
  2. Age Limits and Age Group Definitions
  3. Company Information
  4. Destinations and Regions
  5. General Cover
  6. Health
  7. Payment
  8. Product Information
  9. Sports and Activities
  10. Wintersports/Ski

What is the EHIC and Why do I need one?

EHIC stands for European Health Insurance Card. They are free and can only be used within the EU. The card will entitle you to free or discounted medical treatment as if you were a resident of that country. In some cases, if you use your EHIC card, certain insurers may waive the excess on your travel insurance.

Where do I Apply?

You will need a separate card for each member of your family. Check that your card has not expired before travelling as they are valid for 5 years. You can apply from the official government website at, or if you prefer you can call the NHS on 0300 330 1350 and order from here.

Do I still need travel insurance?

You will still need to purchase travel insurance as the EHIC does not replace or provide an alternative. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs such as, being flown back to the UK, mountain rescue in ski resorts, or lost or stolen property. Please be aware the EHIC card is not valid on cruises.

We hope the above information is useful

For all the latest travel advice please visit the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office travel aware website which provides more helpful hints and tips for travelling safely

Use our simple to use quote engine to obtain a quick and easy travel insurance quote

Related FAQs

  1. How do I make a claim in the event of poor weather?
  2. Am I covered for disruption due to natural disasters?
  3. Am I covered for travel disruption caused by the Icelandic volcanic ash incident?
  4. Am I covered to drive abroad?
  5. Can I cancel my policy if it does not meet my needs?
  6. Can I extend an individual trip policy from abroad?
  7. Can I increase the personal possessions limit?
  8. Can my family travel independently on an annual policy?
  9. Can we be insured as a couple on the same annual policy?
  10. Do you cover cruises?
  11. Do you provide cover for Scheduled Airline Failure?
  12. How do I get adequate liability cover for driving in USA?
  13. How do you define UK resident?
  14. How many days can I be abroad on an annual policy?
  15. How much are my golf clubs insured for?
  16. Is it possible to extend the trip limit on the annual policies?
  17. Is the cover per person or per policy?
  18. Is there an excess?
  19. Should I contact you each time I travel on my annual policy?
  20. What is the EHIC?
  21. Should I take an EHIC card?
  22. What does a single or individual trip mean?
  23. What if my Travel Agent is forcing me to take their insurance?
  24. What if my travel plans are affected by extreme weather conditions?
  25. What if the staff from the airline I am travelling with go on strike or threaten industrial action?
  26. What is the single article limit?
  27. Can I cover my gadgets whilst abroad?
  28. When is travel insurance necessary?
  29. When does travel insurance need to be purchased?
  30. Am I covered if there were to be a terror related attack?

Need help?

UK Customer Services0330 880 3600

Open 8:30am-6pm on Mon to Fri, 8:30am-4pm on Sat. Closed Sunday.
(Calls may be monitored or recorded)

UK Emergency AssistanceContact details can be found in your policy documentation

Available 24 hours a day, every day