What is a pre-existing medical condition?
A ‘pre-existing’ medical condition is the best way to describe the type of conditions which must be declared on your policy in order for it to be valid. Failure to declare the correct medical conditions, or to give complete and accurate information, might result in claims being rejected, claims being refused, or cover withdrawn.
When completing a medical declaration, these are the questions we ask:
- Have you or anyone in your party ever been diagnosed with or treated for any cancerous, respiratory (including asthma), diabetes, heart or circulatory conditions (problems with blood flow, including strokes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol)?
- Have you or anyone in your party been prescribed medication, or received treatment or attended a medical practitioner’s surgery in the last 2 years?
- Have you or anyone in your party ever been diagnosed with or treated for any psychological conditions such as stress, anxiety, depression, or psychiatric conditions such as eating disorders, drug or alcohol abuse or mental instability?
- Have you or anyone in your party attended a hospital or clinic as an out-patient or in-patient in the last 2 years?
We might not be able to offer a policy if the answer is 'Yes' to any of the following questions:
Do you or anyone to be insured on this policy have:
- Any medical condition you are aware of but for which you have not had a diagnosis?
- Any medical condition for which you are on a waiting list, or have the knowledge of the need for surgery, treatment or investigation at a hospital, clinic or nursing home?
- A terminal prognosis?
On this basis, you would need to contact our UK-based customer care team on 0330 880 3600.
- What is a pre-existing medical condition?
- Do you insure people with pre-existing medical conditions?
- What does exclusion mean?
- Am I insured to travel whilst pregnant?
- Can I take out insurance if I am currently under investigation for an illness?
- Should I notify you if my medical conditions have changed since taking out my policy with you?
- If my insurance is refused due to my pre-existing medical condition, can I still take out travel insurance?
- If I have depression do I need to declare it?
- Do I have to pay my medical bills abroad?
- Am I covered to cancel my trip if I contract swine flu?
- What does the term medical screening mean?
- Am I able to exclude cover for any or all of my Medical conditions?