FCO Travel Aware Campaign
We have put together a handy guide with lots of tips and advice for safe travelling abroad but for more details please visit www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.. For the most recent updates by country check out our FCO updates webpage.
Getting ready for your trip?
- Always ensure you purchase full travel insurance for all your party and that it is valid for the entire trip. Check that it includes cover for any activities you want to do including any extreme sports.
- Whether you are going on a cruise, winter sports trip or playing Golf check you have the right cover.
- Remember the cheapest cover is not always the best so read the policy wording and check you have the cover you need.
- Direct Travel offer a wide range of travel insurance policies offering cover for pre-existing medical conditions and all ages of traveller.
- If you are travelling within the EU, ensure you take an EHIC card. For full details see our handy EHIC guide.
- Make sure you check your passports well ahead of your departure date. You do not want to find your passport has expired the night before you travel. Ensure everyone in your party has a valid passport.
- Some countries insist your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you travel so check to see if this applies to you. Be aware of the entry requirements of the countries you are visiting and apply for visas in good time. To apply for visas and for more advice visit the FCO website at www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.
- Keep your passport safe whilst travelling.
- It is a good idea to make copies of your travel documents before you leave and store them in a secure place.
- Always tell a relative or friend where you are travelling to and when you are expected back and how to be contacted in an emergency
- Planning to drive whilst away? Please make sure your UK driving licence is current and valid.
- Expect the unexpected when travelling and always ensure you take enough money or have access to some back up funds in case of an unexpected incident. Check your credit cards are valid for the length of your trip.
- Booked your winter ski holiday? With the winter ski season about to get into full swing, please make sure you are fully prepared. Along with using the correct clothing and safety equipment, make sure you are clear about your limits on and off the slopes. Alcohol can affect your awareness of the cold and impair your judgement and reaction time. It’s also good to be informed of the various routes available as they can vary in different ski resorts and countries. For further information please visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/winter-sports-stay-safe-on-the-slopes
Tips for when you arrive at your destination
- Laws and customs can be very different from in the UK, so please know and respect them as the penalties can be very severe
- Don’t take risks, trust your instincts and think about what you are doing
- Take a copy of contact details for the British Embassy or Consulate in case you need to contact them
- Buy bottled water especially if you have any doubt whether the water is safe to drink
- Reapply your sun cream frequently especially after swimming and make sure it’s the correct factor for your skin type
We hope you find the above information helpful for more details on preparing for safe and healthy travel please visit: www.travelaware.campaign.gov.uk
For the latest travel updates follow @FCOtravel on Twitter and find the FCO at Facebook.com/FCOtravel or visit www.gov.uk/travelaware