Call 0330 880 3600 Calls may be monitored or recorded. Opening Times.

Blog Header

Will you cover me if I’ve had or contract Encephalitis while on holiday?

The simple answer is Yes! Direct Travel is proud to provide cover for an extensive range of pre-existing medical conditions.

Encephalitis is a serious condition where the brain becomes swollen. It is a very rare but life-threatening condition and requires urgent hospital treatment. It can be a long process to recover and it is possible to be left with long term problems because of the damage caused to the brain. It can leave patients with memory problems, swallowing problems, emotional and psychological problems, persistent tiredness and problems with balance, coordination and movement.

If you’ve had encephalitis you will need to declare it to us as a pre-existing medical condition. If you fail to tell us, then you will be unable to make a claim if you experience medical complications whilst on your trip abroad and require medical treatment in relation to your encephalitis. To declare all your pre-existing medical conditions, ring our friendly UK based call centre or click the following link - and get your competitive quote now!

Please have to hand information about your condition, any medication you are currently taking and any treatment you have received. Unfortunately, it is harder to arrange travel insurance if you are awaiting a diagnosis or treatment. You should also talk to your Doctor / Consultant before confirming travel plans.

To provide peace of mind for patients, a policy which covers family members, and/or a carer may be suitable depending on your circumstances to ensure that everyone is covered appropriately. If, due to complications relating to your encephalitis, you are unable to travel you may be able to make a claim for cancellation. Our policies also provide a 24-hour medical assistance line with operators being able to speak in several different languages, expenses relating to ambulance and hospital costs and repatriation to the UK amongst many others.

Finally, if you are travelling to Europe, then it is essential that you carry an EHIC – European Health Insurance Card. Please see our dedicated page for more details -

This page uses information from the sources below: