Call 0330 880 3600 Calls may be monitored or recorded. Opening Times.

Blog Header

Under 18s Travel Insurance

The kind of policy to buy for someone under the age of 18 depends on where they are travelling and who they are travelling with.

Before buying a policy for someone under the age of 18

If you are travelling with someone under the age of 18 on a family holiday, they will likely be covered by any family policies you already have.

If the under 18 year old is travelling as part of a school or sports trip, you may have to take out a separate policy to cover them.

If the person under 18 has any pre-existing medical conditions, it's important to declare them before buying a policy. If you don't, and they take ill abroad, hospital fees may not be covered.

If someone under the age of 18 is going to be participating in extreme sports (skiing/snowboarding, bungee jumping, etc) their policy must cover this.

Travel insurance for someone under the age of 18 can cover:

  1. Medical emergencies or hospital visits
  2. Loss or theft of possessions
  3. Cancellation of travel or delays to travel
  4. Lost luggage

Tips for preparation and keeping safe

Make copies of important documents such as passports, contacts lists or prescriptions. Give a copy to someone else you are travelling with, so if they do get lost you have a spare. This will cut down on what could potentially be a very stressful situation.

Budget sensibly. Some research in advance about the currency conversion and how much you are likely to spend will lower the chances of running out of cash.

Learn some of the local lingo, whether it's how to get back to your hotel or how to get to the hospital – a little knowledge could go a long way.