Call 0330 880 3600 Calls may be monitored or recorded. Opening Times.

Blog Header

Over 70s Travel Insurance

What to think about before buying a travel insurance policy

People over the age of 70 are considered to be at a higher risk of needing care abroad, so premiums are likely to be higher. If you have a pre-existing medical condition this should be stated before buying a policy. You should also declare all cancerous, breathing, heart or stroke conditions you have ever been diagnosed with.

Other factors that could affect how much your travel insurance ends up costing include your age, how long you will be travelling for, and where you intend to travel.

What does travel insurance cover for people over the age of 70?

A policy for those over the age of 70 will normally cover

  1. Medical emergencies, hospitalisation or repatriation
  2. Delays or cancellations to travel
  3. Loss or theft of belongings
  4. Optional personal liability

It is also a good idea to look into getting a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which entitles people from European countries to reduced-price or free healthcare while travelling in EU countries. It should be noted that this is not a replacement for a travel insurance policy.

Preparation and personal safety

Research the area you are visiting before you head off: this can help you decide what attractions you would like to take in and what areas would be best to avoid.

If you take medication, pack more than you need for your time away in case your travel there or back is delayed, or you accidentally misplace any.

If you are visiting a non-English speaking country, a little lesson in the local lingo might be a good idea. It is always helpful to be able to ask for basic things – everything from 'where can I buy a bottle of water' to 'where is the nearest hospital' could potentially come in useful.