Backpacker Travel Insurance
If you are planning to travel the world it is important to ensure you have backpacker travel insurance to protect yourself in the event of an emergency.
Available for anyone under the age of 36 years of age, backpacker insurance from Direct Travel Insurance provides the peace of mind you need when travelling the globe.
- Especially designed insurance for longstay or gap year holidays of adventure and discovery.
- Pay as you go - extend your cover up to 18 months whilst you are away.
- 24 hour Worldwide emergency assistance, travel advice and Talking Nurses service.
- Save 15% when you buy online compared to our call centre.
- Over 100 sports and activities covered.
- Extra benefits including free stopover cover and a return to the UK during your journey.
- Available for travellers up to the age of 36.
- Natural Disaster Cover available - for disruption caused by volcanoes, floods, earthquakes and more.
Backpacker Travel Insurance
If you are planning to travel for between 3 months and 12 months, you can be sure to find cheap backpacker travel insurance to suit your needs here.
Our backpacker travel insurance policies provide cover for a choice of worldwide destinations at a range of prices. Whether you’re planning to discover the charm of Europe by train or setting off to explore the jungles of South America on foot, you can get the right gap year travel insurance at the right price from Direct Travel Insurance.
If you are looking for flexibility in your backpacker travel insurance, then we’ve got that covered too. Unlike most gap year travel insurance policies, with Direct Travel Insurance you can stop-over for up to 14 days in any area of the world even if that travel area is not included in your backpacker travel insurance policy.
Backpacker travel insurance with hazardous sports insurance
Because travelling the world is about new experiences, our backpackers insurance gives you the freedom to get involved with hazardous sports such as bungee jumping and white water rafting.
For further details go to our hazardous sports information page.
What can I do if I am older than the maximum age limit for the policy?
You may be able to obtain an alternative travel insurance policy by contacting:
British Insurance Brokers Association: www.biba.org.uk
Tel: 0870 950 1790 (Lines open 9.00am – 5.-00pm Monday to Friday)
Choosing the best backpacker insurance policy for you
It is important to choose your gap year travel insurance wisely. Whilst it is always tempting to buy the cheapest policy available, you run the risk that if something does go wrong, your cheap backpackers travel insurance policy might not cover it and a small accident could turn into a disaster.
To help you make the right decision, below is a quick break-down of what you can expect from our backpacker insurance.
Key benefits include:
- Up to £5,000,000 Medical cover
- Up to £15,000 Personal Accident cover
- Legal Expenses
- Loss of Passport
- Up to £1,500 Personal Possessions cover
- Up to £500 Personal Money cover
- Up to £100 Delayed Personal Belongings and Baggage cover
- Up to £2,000 Cancellation cover
- Up to £2,000 cutting short your trip
- Up to £2,000 Abandonment cover
- Up to £500 Missed Departure cover
- Up to £500 Missed Connection cover
- Up to £500 cover for Uninhabitable Accommodation, Hijack or Mugging
- Up to £1,500 End Supplier Failure cover
Please refer to the Policy Wordings for terms and exclusions
Please note that our policies do not cover undisclosed pre-existing medical conditions or travel to or through Afghanistan, Cuba, Liberia and Sudan, please check the Policy Wording for details.